Saturday, July 26, 2014

Up, Up and Away!

Members of Annie's Star Quilt Guild will know exactly what this block is intended for... but for now it's a secret! Shhhhh... :0)

It was fun going thru my stash and found each of these fabrics in one box or another. YES! Even used a ribbon remnant to embellish the balloon. The colors were a match. Love it when that happens!

Stash, as nice as it is to have to pull from, it takes up space that I just don't have any more. I've sold allot at yard sales, donate to the guild and now sharing fabric at Goldie's Scrap happy days. Recently I purchased a new book at Honey Run that is perfect for stash busting... Adding Layers—Color, Design, & Design, by Kathy Doughty of Material Obsession. I was able to pull fabrics in order to make three of the 15 quilt projects in the book! I had fun making a few test blocks and fussy cutting some old brights for one pattern in the book ~ Vintage Spin. A take on a Dresden Plate block. I may call this one Fun in the Sun. A black and white fabric will be added for the center circles as well as the binding.
Following are pix from the book... This is Vintage Spin. This could be made in any fabrics.
All you need are two 9 x 26" pieces of fabric for each block, FQs work with some to spare for fussy cutting.

The patterns can be adapted to both modern and traditional fabrics. Carolina Lilly is a traditional block. The quilt in this book is a bit of a modern version...
There is a giant Churn Dash
also with a modern spin as well as a Sawtooth Star that is very modern. Named Super Nova here it is made into a quilt by Theresa at Honey Run, a quilt sample for Pacific International that she asked me to quilt. Here is a link to Moonbear Designs and Quilting blog with more pix. I actually prefer Theresa's version with her Essex yarn dyed fabric for the background.

 How about this one, talk about scrappy!

It's going to be fun to make a few of the quilts from the book, to play with my Civil War fabrics as well as some Kaffe fabrics, batiks and some vintage favorites waiting to be make into quilts. Oh, but will they be mixed together!?! Shutter at the thought! 

And to the subject of goals... Time to get back to them! Back to my three letter projects (BOMs, WIPs and UFOs) along with the stash busting. I am finally caught up with the back log of quilts after switching from one longarm machine to another. Still have a number to do, 30 plus with another dozen on my list which is why my turn around time is in November.

I would love to get that number down, again, the whole storage thing. I've had to use my personal quilting space for storage. It's my little sewing room that is air conditioned and heated and in the house. My studio is not and in this hot weather is not a fun place to be in the afternoons. I start very early in the morning, literally at the *^#% crack of dawn.

Since I no longer qualify for A Lovely Year of Finishes, I guess I'll have to go it alone!

Enjoy your weekend, take some time to take a few stitches! Groetjes, Jo

2 comments:

  1. Hi Jo! Those blocks are wonderful! I love your joyful Vintage Spin blocks! I became a follower of your blog. Greetings from Greece.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I can so relate about the scraps and overflow of scraps, and the "do I really want these scraps anymore?" thing. I have several I want to work on, but I keep thinking that my silly Dear Jane needs to top the list. I do need a break from that. Your balloon block turned out so nice, and the colors are perfect together.

    ReplyDelete

Comment Moderation is back on thanks to recent spammers!
If blogger has you set as a no-reply blogger, I am not able to reply or answer questions by email, only here in the comment section of my blog. Thank you for reading my blog!