Sunday, July 13, 2014

Scrap Happy Top almost finished!

This is my top made at Goldie's Scrap Happy Day
There was a great turnout and allot of good food!

The top finished at 48 x 48. I finished the rows and added the borders this morning. Not quite finished with the top as there will be applique in the borders. Kim Diehl's version adds leaves. That was my original plan however since I decided to use geometric prints instead of floral I am going to use a geometric shape.

Jewel is the shape I decided on. These are blue fabric scraps cut out just for a layout. My plan is to use my EPP set that Beckie gifted me (thank you Beckie :0) for each shape and applique them on after the top is quilted. They will be all different colors, not just blue as in the photo. Three per snowball and probably seven in each of the corners. 

The plan is to use a lime green Glide thread and quilt circles and swirls. Didn't quite make it with my background fabric and had to use a different fabric for the corners so now the background is scrappy too! This quilt has been fun to make. A departure from the Civil War fabrics I usually work with. It's keeping me balanced :0) Big plus... all of the cut off corners from the snowballs and left over strips will be used to make HSTs and another block for Faithful!


Above is Lori of Humble Quilts Big Top quilt which was made from traded HSTs and later Lori hosted a QAL to make each block. I made one block (here is my block made last year) and after this project have enough to make a second block for my top. Kind of sounds insane but you have to be a quilter to appreciate the sanity of it all. The pleasure is in the process! AND I am using up allot of stash!!! Below is the first block I made...

The World Cup is done! Yea. I won't say who in case you haven't seen the game. Happy to say that the Netherlands are in the top three! Yea!!! Enjoy the rest of your weekend. Groetjes, Jo

2 comments:

  1. LOVE your version of Lori's Faithful block. Isn't that finished quilt something? I wouldn't have tried making it if Lori hadn't broken it down into a single block for us, showing us how basically simple it is. And it's a great mind opener to see your modern, bright version. I have to do a better job of thinking outside the box when I look at quilts and blocks. Thanks for helping me do that.
    I'd only seen Kim Diehl's little quilt made in CW repro or a similar style of fabrics, and once again, thanks for opening my eyes with your bold and energetic version.
    Your header reminds me of yet another UFO that I've forgotten about. Oh dear. I must get back to that one of these days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love, love the scrappy top. I am a bright color kind of gal so this one is right up my comfort zone.

    ReplyDelete

Comment Moderation is back on thanks to recent spammers!
If blogger has you set as a no-reply blogger, I am not able to reply or answer questions by email, only here in the comment section of my blog. Thank you for reading my blog!