Saturday, December 21, 2013

Winter Solstice

Definitions and beliefs about the Winter Solstice vary greatly. Of course it also depends on where you live on this wonderful sphere we call earth. The time of sunsets and sunrises vary. The opposite seasons for each hemisphere changes the mood. For those of us in the Northern hemisphere we begin winter, altho as far as weather goes, it began a few weeks ago!

I look forward to the solstice as we swing back to longer days. Well that's not true, there is no addition of time. OK, then each day forward will bring more light into the day. Illumination or enlightening, good words, altho they don't really apply to the winter solstice either...

en·light·en·ment

noun: enlightenment; plural noun: enlightenments; singular proper noun: Enlightenment; noun: the Enlightenment ~ the action of enlightening or the state of being enlightened. Attaining or having attained spiritual knowledge or insight.

Synonyms: Insight, understanding, awareness, wisdom, education, learning, knowledge. 
Illumination, awakening, instruction, teaching.






A good time to reflect and find balance. Learn something new, like a new quilting technique. Start a new quilt project, altho, that is never a problem! It's the finishing that is the challenge or the balance :0) As a machine quilter, I am always interested in the direction of lines and filling space. Recently that interest brought me to the art of Zentangle. Also difficult to define as it has taken on many forms and theories. It has found it's way into the quilting arena which makes sense with the progress and interest in machine quilting. I for one, am looking forward to learning more and practice, practice, practice. And then practice some more!

Has anything new sparked your interest? 
Wishing everyone a lovely evening

2 comments:

  1. Such a lovely blog post Jo!
    I've suddenly taken an interest in shaded embroidery.
    I haven't pursued it yet, but perhaps soon.

    Zentangle sounds very interesting, I look forward to following your journey with this technique.

    Wishing you great Joy this Holiday Season!

    ReplyDelete
  2. neat post.
    I am very interested in hooking a rug. I think I am finally going to give it a go in the new year.
    Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete

Comment Moderation is back on thanks to recent spammers!
If blogger has you set as a no-reply blogger, I am not able to reply or answer questions by email, only here in the comment section of my blog. Thank you for reading my blog!