Wednesday, January 21, 2015

January Goal for 2015

For 2015 I am going to be realistic and say my goal is to work on UFOs and stash busting scrappy quilts each month. It would be great to actually finish one each month however, my goal is to finish 9 UFOs this year. There. That's doable.

January goal is a scrappy quilt I started at Goldie's Scrap Happy Day last year in July. Everyone brings scraps from home, they get piled on the cutting table and everyone picks what they like. I picked the brightest geometric prints from my stash and the 'pile'...
and this is what I came up with :0) a take off from a Kim Diehl quilt. Each snowball block has a different print. There will be appliqued pieces in the border. The original has leaf shapes, mine will have Jewel shapes to maintain the geometric theme. Top is pieced and quilted with a geometric e2e design with a variegated Fantastico thread. 

During our Texas trip I English Paper Pieced one inch Jewel pieces with the same scraps. Great project to work on in the car, it only works on long straight roads and we had plenty of those. Once home, I laid out the pieces on the border and found I only had 4 more to do, Yea! Done as of Monday at lunch with Beckie, Donna and Nancy.

Something I tried on my challenge quilt, to machine applique pieces onto a quilted top. Some of the pieces were fuzed, others turned with freezer paper. Will see how it works here without fusible or any paper.
Today they are starched, pressed, papers removed, laid out and ready to applique down.
It's a good start... 
Groetjes, Jo

3 comments:

  1. What a delightful quilt! I made the one in Kim's book and your variation is so clever! Have never heard of adding the applique after it's quilted - very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Reminds me of jars or lanterns. I like Kim's designs and have all of her books.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It certainly is a good start. I LOVE your border treatment on this! Also, it seems to be out of your usual comfort zone, so brava!

    TG

    ReplyDelete

Comment Moderation is back on thanks to recent spammers!
If blogger has you set as a no-reply blogger, I am not able to reply or answer questions by email, only here in the comment section of my blog. Thank you for reading my blog!